Vertigo

Vertigo
Vertigo

Sunday, September 01, 2024

A SciFi Legend in 70 mm

I want to share a special experience going to the lovely AFI Theater in Silver Spring to see 2001: A Space Odyssey in 70 mm.  I was (through my dad's astrophysicist job) able to witness the world premiere of this back in 1968 at the Uptown Theater! I have seen it since on tv and normal theaters, but 70mm does not happen everyday for this so I went. It was still an amazing experience with stunning visuals and groundbreaking special effects/graphics (before there was CGI) that still hold up beautifully today. And how prescient was Director Stanley Kubrick of the dangers of AI than Hal the computer? The AFI presented the film as originally shown complete with overture and 20 minute intermission and the house lights
 adjusted in sync with the film at start and finish, truly a maximum film experience. Kudos to the staff especially concession and the box office manager who went above and beyond for me. I even had met the two stars, Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood at The MidAtlantic Nostalgia Convention several.years ago. Things come full circle. Thanks to Bridgette and Nick for inviting me.  I just wish this theater was in Catonsville!










No comments: