Vertigo

Vertigo
Vertigo

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Oscar Predictions for 2007

OK, I admit to having limited viewings of the nominees for 2007 so I will base my picks on what I did see and also make an educated guess. I confess to having only seen the best picture nominees and few of the other nominated films.

PICTURE-Atonement might have won in the past, but this kind of film doesn’t win anymore. There Will Be Blood is hailed as a Citizen Kane of sorts but it worked for some and really turned off others. Juno is that little film that could but, like Little Miss Sunshine from year’s past, won’t make it here. Michael Clayton is wonderful but its nominations are award in itself for this kind of film. I can get past its abrupt ending and admire No Country for Old Men (think The Departed which had an unsatisfying end) which should win.

DIRECTOR-Coen brothers get their dues for No Country for Old Men.

ACTOR-Daniel Day-Lewis towers above them all.

ACTRESS-I will stick my neck out even though Julie Christie is the favorite; I will go with my heart and pick upset winner Marion Cotillard’s knockout job in La Vie en Rose.

SUPPORTING ACTOR-Javier Bardem period.

SUPPORTING ACTRESS-toughest, most unpredictable category….Tilda Swinton could get the consolation award for Michael Clayton

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY-Juno!

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY-No Country for Old Men

The rest of the tech categories should evenly split such films as Transformers, Sweeney Todd, Atonement, Bourne Ultimatum, and La Vie en Rose.

ANIMATED-Ratatouille
SONG-Once gets its just due
SCORE-Atonement
MAKEUP-La Vie en Rose
VISUAL EFFECTS-Transformers
EDITING-Bourne Ultimatum should win in the tradition of Bullitt and all great action films.
CINEMATOGRAPHY-Atonement
ART DIRECTION-Sweeney Todd
FOREIGN FILM-Counterfeiters
COSTUME-Sweeney Todd
SOUND MIXING-Bourne Ultimatum
SOUND EDITING-Bourne Ultimatum
DOCUMENTARY-Sicko

Have not seen any of the short subject so I won’t hazard a guess.
The totals award count should go to No Country for Old Men with at least 4 awards.

ENJOY!

No comments: