Vertigo

Vertigo
Vertigo

Monday, July 22, 2019

Captain Crane and the Many Roles of David Hedison

 
 
Actor David Hedison passed away at 92 leaving a substantial body of TV and movie work to complement his theatrical experience. Among his famous roles was in the original The Fly and as Felix Leiter not once but twice in different James Bond films, Live and Let Die and License to Kill.

 
 
When producer Irwin Allen came calling for The Lost World remake, he would evenrually take on the role of Captain Lee Crane in the long running mid sixties TV scifi series Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea with costar Richard Basehart. Mostly broadcast on Sundays at 7pm EST, it was, for a young boy, must see TV before VCRs, and my family would eat out for dinner and rush back so I wouldn't miss my show. Decades later at the first MidAtlantic Nostalgia Convention, I got a chance to meet him and it was truly surreal. What a nice guy. So glad I met him. What fond memories I have for the man and the show.



No comments: