Vertigo

Vertigo
Vertigo

Saturday, October 31, 2020

"Bond, James Bond"


Superstar Sean Connery has passed at 90. The original film James Bond created an indelible portrait of Ian Fleming's sexy, macho British superspy who saved the world from evil domination starting with Dr. No through several classic adventures reaching its apex in blockbusters like Goldfinger. 

The Scottish actor made a respected career away from the iconic spy and built a catalogue of films over five decades (The Wind and the Lion, The Man Who Would Be King, The Hunt for Red October, and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade-a series partially inspired by the Bond films) that led to an Oscar in The Untouchables. His win generated a standing ovation. 

My first Bond film was when my mom took me and my brother to see You Only Live Twice. It was like nothing I had seen before, and when my dad took us to a double feature of Thunderball and From Russia with Love, I was and still am convinced that Connery was The Best Bond despite a subsequent gallery of other actor portrayals. 

He had a misogynistic reputation, and as much as he wanted to shed Agent 007, he would return again and again in Diamonds Are Forever and Never Say Never Again. I raise my glass to you Sir Sean Connery.

No comments: